Our February Fruit of the Month is a kitchen staple we all know and love. It’s tangy. It’s juicy. It’s sweet, but it’s also tart! It is one of America’s most popular fruit juices that is packed in Vitamin C. What is it?
Orange is the largest citrus fruit that grows on beautiful trees that bloom white, fragrant flowers. This citrus fruit originated in Southeast Asia, spreading to India and quickly becoming a classic fruit around the world. Currently, Florida is the top orange producer in the United States, with Brazil leading the global crop production. NWN sources oranges from the Northern and Southern Hemisphere, providing our customers with availability to the freshest of oranges all year round.
With over 600 varieties of orange, Northwest Naturals offers a wide range of products for this fruit. Whether enjoyed in alcoholic beverages, squeezed into juice, or added to your favorite salad, it is a versatile fruit that we enjoy working with. Keep reading to learn more about the NWN orange product line and how you can use it to create your next formulation.
Northwest Naturals Orange Product Line
Northwest Naturals sources oranges from the Northern and Southern Hemisphere and typically carry fresh crops all year round.
Description of the Orange Flavor Profile
With over a dozen orange flavor profiles, we’ve highlighted NWN’s most popular orange products below:
Orange– sweet and tangy providing the classic fresh orange juice taste you’re most familiar with
Blood Orange – still the classic orange taste, with a candied twist with a touch of a flowery note
Tangerine – sweeter and less bitter than the standard orange with a juicy finish
Pro tip: combining multiple products can create a delicious flavor profile and desirable appearance to any application (e.g.. tangerine + blood orange).
- Tropical flavors, especially citruses, grapefruit, mango, guava, passion fruit
- Herbs such as mint, juniper, rosemary
- General cream profiles
Contact us to explore various pairing suggestions for your particular product.
Applications Orange can be used in:
The NWN orange product line is very versatile and can be used in many creative ways throughout various applications. While the list of recommendations can be endless, we’ve highlighted few favorite below:
- Alcohol with high and low ABV, including beer, alcohol, cider and liqueur
- Non-alcoholic beverages, most widely used in sparkling beverages or in mocktail mixers (read our blog post about non-alcoholic trends!)
- Baked goods such as olive oil cake, chocolate baked goods to offset the flavor, brownie or blondie to give a hint of citrus flavor
- Frozen foods and desserts like yogurts, sorbets
Northwest Naturals has created these products using orange:
- Sparkling seltzer that is ready to drink
- Famous Texas Vodka that contains our signature Orange Juice Blend
- Orange Cream blend to use in alcohol and dairy applications
Recipes our team can’t get enough of:
- Cassava Cake with Kumquat Syrup
- Bitter Green Salad with Orange Yogurt Dressing
- Blood Orange Sunrise